Monday, April 06, 2009

Not Seeing Is Believing

Some of the best conversations I've had in my life have been with people who aren't there.

I may be a freak or weirdo for admitting to it (though I know at least one other person who has confessed to the same), but I have had- and fully expect to continue having- discussions with imaginary people.

The people themselves aren't usually imaginary- they're friends, family, prospective paramours. I talk with them to work through dilemmas I'm having, or to make a trial run at a romantic scenario, or just to have a pleasant conversation with a familiar face that isn't physically present.

Maybe it's because I'm a writer, and like to practice dialoguing; maybe it's because I get bored talking to my own voice (whether in my head or aloud- yes, I'm one of those people at times). In any event, it is comforting to know that my loved ones are never quite as far mentally as they may be geographically.

No comments: